Welcome to my blog. Here you will find my adventures with my family and friends. Thanks so much for stopping by.

I'm so enjoying this wonderful world of blogging where I have met and made so many new friends.

Please leave a comment when you drop by so I can visit your blog and get to know you too
.

Friday, August 23, 2013

BIRDS


When we lived on acreage in our previous house I used to feed the birds.

They didn't need to be fed, I just liked to have them visit.

Specificly I used to feed the Lorikeets  - both Scaley and Rainbow varieties - and when they come they usually come in large numbers.

As the grevilleas are all flowering and so are full of Lorikeets at the moment I decided to see if I could get them to come to a feeder.

I placed bread soaked in sugary water down near the Grevillea bushes and it wasn't long before they found it.




The only problem was that there were a few other birds who wanted a share too.




Now Cockatoos are lovely birds too but very destructive.




They attack the tin on your roof or your garden shed and bend it out of shape, chew your wooden garden furniture so I wasn't too pleased to see four or five of them swinging in the nearby trees.
Anyway they like seeds.




The Magpie came to have a look too though he really prefers worms and such.


But I needn't have worried as Lokireets are bossy little birds
 
 
 and they soon chased the others away !
 
 
 They're very noisy and bossy but I love them.

 
 Looks like Tony will have to get a move on and build me the bird feeder that he promised.

Cheers.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. I had never heard of them but now I think I love them too. They are pretty and seem to have quite a personality. In the last picture that one is trying to look mean but he just looks grumpy. :)

    I let my little guineas out of the cage today and saw them fly for the first time. It looked like a covey of quail taking off, it was amazing! I laughed when I saw what spooked them though - a butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heavens , have the guineas flown away then? I thought they were ground birds?

      Delete
  2. Make our sparrows etc look a bit dull don't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not hear of them before. So beautiful and colorful. I totally understand why you'd want to attract them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos! I love watching the birds that visit our garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have less exotic birds here -- cardinals, brown thrasher (Georgia's state bird), bluejays, Eastern bluebirds, mockingbirds, crows. Oh, and hawks and ospreys, too.

    A pair of barn swallows raised two families on our front entrance this summer. Very messy (the nest is made of mud) but fun to watch!

    But they pale in comparison to your lorikeets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They really are such beautiful colours. We have them in our Fire Tree all the time and it makes me happy just looking at them when Im out the back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have lots here too, they are so colourful, but they are sooooo noisy, first thing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete