Welcome to my blog. Here you will find my adventures with my family and friends. Thanks so much for stopping by.

I'm so enjoying this wonderful world of blogging where I have met and made so many new friends.

Please leave a comment when you drop by so I can visit your blog and get to know you too
.

Wednesday, February 24, 2021

BRUMBIES OF THE SNOWY MOUNTAINS

In Australia we call wild horses Brumbies.

Brumbies have featured in poems and stories about the settlement of our country and of course there's the wonderful poem "The Man from Snowy River" which was made into a movie about 30 years ago.

The Brumbies of the Snowy river area still roam the National Park today and are the object of fierce debate about the damage that they do to the National Park.

I recently stumbled onto a Facebook page written by a couple who follow and photograph these lovely wild horses and these are their photos, not mine.


I understand that there are many different groups of brumbies. Families collected by a stallion which move  and live and breed under his protection.



Some groups are large and some only number about six or seven.



Reproduction seems to be going well



with most groups containing foals of different ages.


Here is one of the stallions.
Isn't he magnificent ?


Some herds are full of bays and blacks


and some are mostly greys


like this herd.






These photos were taken in an area where the bushfires of last year have left their mark but thankfully the horses have survived the fires and are thriving.






I love to see them looking so fit and healthy, magnificent specimens all of them !

Cheers.

* Snowy Brumby Photography Adventures with Michelle and Ian

http://www.facebook.com/snowybrumbyadventures


6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad the brumbies survived those terrible fires. They are magnificent looking creatures. I remember The Man from Snowy River - a very enjoyable film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you remember the film Lorrie, it was great wasn't it?

      Delete
  2. Beautiful creatures. I, too, am glad they survived the devastating, destructive fires. Our grandmother used to tell us stories of the brumblies around the Gympie area during the days of her youth. We listened, fascinated each time she told the tales. :)

    Take good care, Helsie...I hope all is well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Lee. All good here, I hope you are the same?

      Delete
  3. I remember once, when I was a child, seeing Brumbies in the mountains near my grandfather's farm. I've never forgotten how I felt. They really touched me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are such an Aussie icon aren't they Pauline. I hate to hear they there is a campaign to get rid of them. Thanks for calling by and commenting.

    ReplyDelete