Welcome to my blog. Here you will find my adventures with my family and friends. Thanks so much for stopping by.

I'm so enjoying this wonderful world of blogging where I have met and made so many new friends.

Please leave a comment when you drop by so I can visit your blog and get to know you too
.

Monday, January 5, 2015

CRANBERRIES

 
 
Cranberries are a relatively new discovery to me.
 
Oh, I've known Cranberry Sauce for many years -
 
you have it with your turkey at Thanksgiving
or on a sandwich with turkey and Brie
 
but turkey is not a thing we eat very often in this house
 
 - in fact this Christmas I cooked a huge turkey breast for the first time in my ( nearly) 65 years ! 

 
 
and then forgot to serve it with the Cranberry Sauce !!
 
Over the last year or so Cranberries have been there on the supermarket shelves with the other dried fruit and I've bought them home where we've tried them and liked these antioxidant-packed berries.

In Australia you can buy a variety of cranberry products all year round in major supermarkets, including dried and frozen cranberries, cranberry juice, and cranberry sauce. Frozen cranberries can be found in selected retailers, particularly during the festive season.
 
Fresh cranberries are not available in Australia as cranberries cannot be grown here at present.

 
Unfortunately, the climate in Australia has not proven suitable for growing cranberries successfully in commercial quantities.  
 
 
I found this map that shows where Cranberries actually grow - must be too hot for them south of the equator !
 
The harvest looks spectacular. 
All those crimson fruits floating in ponds being scooped up and taken off to be processed.
 



 
 

The most well-known benefit of cranberries is in the prevention of recurring urinary tract infections  UTIs are one of the most common reasons for visiting a doctor about an infection.

The PACs ( proanthocyanidins ) in cranberries interfere with E. coli bacteria ( responsible for 85 percent of UTIs), helping to prevent them from sticking to the cells in the urinary tract, thereby preventing infection.
Regular consumption of cranberries or cranberry products can reduce the risk of a urinary tract infection by as much as 50 percent. ( all this valuable information comes from my research on the internet !!)

Sounds like Cranberries and Blueberries are the new wonder fruits.


All this palaver is just an introduction to a recipe I tried for the first time for Christmas Day.
 
Cranberry Stuffing Balls.
from Taste  magazine
 
4 slices prosciutto           
        
    
 
                                         
                                        
            
             
 
Method :
 * Preheat oven to 200°C. Cut each prosciutto slice lengthways into four pieces. 
 
* Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion is soft. Remove to a bowl. Add breadcrumbs, cranberries, egg, sage and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.

 
 
* Shape tablespoons of mixture into 16 balls. Wrap one slice of prosciutto around each ball. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until browned and heated through. Serve

 
 
 
Extremely yummy.
 
Cheers. 

7 comments:

  1. I like cranberries as well. My hubby went to a cranberry farm many years ago in Wisconsin USA when we were over on holiday, we girls went shopping instead. We drink a lot of cranberry juice which I find refreshing, even on a cold, dark, damp, horrid day as today here in the UK I even like it with vodka ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ann, it's so nice to hear from you. Hope you are surviving the cold weather OK. Mmmmm with vodka you say? I might give that a go !!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. That all looks and sounds so delicious. And I am going to be roasting a chicken for my lunch...and I do have some cranberries...and I am going to make some stuffing for the chicken...so now I will add some cranberries to the stuffing thanks to you, Helsie! :)

    Sometimes I throw a few cranberries into my NutriBullet along with all the rest of the goodies that I throw into it every morning (also including some frozen mixed berries),

    It's fascinating how cranberries are harvested.

    And, yes...it's is great to have these cooler days. I hate the heat and humidity like we were having.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are giving the cranberries a go with your stuffing Lee. They added a nice zing.... and the prosciutto just topped it off ! I could have eaten them as savouries with a wine !!!

      Delete
  3. That recipe looks delicious. I make cranberry chutney to have at Christmas with turkey and usually forget to put it on the table. Mum takes cranberry capsules to help prevent UTI, seems to work for her.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How was the turkey? Not too dry I hope. Little turkey tips. Score an apple and a small onion and stick them in the body cavity. And layer rashers of bacon over the breast. These actions will help to keep the breast quite moist. At least half the cooking time should see the turkey carefully sealed in its oven pan with aluminium cooking foil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DROOL! SLOBBER! Yummy yummy YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete