Welcome to my blog. Here you will find my adventures with my family and friends. Thanks so much for stopping by.

I'm so enjoying this wonderful world of blogging where I have met and made so many new friends.

Please leave a comment when you drop by so I can visit your blog and get to know you too
.

Saturday, June 28, 2014

WEDDINGS AND FUNERALS

Isn't it a shame that, in these busy times, we often only manage to see our uncles and aunts and cousins at weddings and funerals ?

Such was the case for me today when I attended the funeral of my uncle, one of my mother's seven brothers.
Yes, she had seven brothers.....
And six sisters !

My mother was number four in a family of fourteen children so my childhood was full of cousins and aunts and uncles. 
Mum might not have been the eldest in the family but she was the glue that kept them all together. There were always family BBQs, picnics and celebrations and family visiting from far and wide.

But families grow up, begin careers, marry and move away and gradually the contact between the cousins dwindles as they have growing families of their own. 

These days it is the funerals that bring us together and despite the sadness of losing the older members of the family it is a great joy to reconnect with those cousins that manage to make it to the funerals. Nowadays we are managing to reconnect with the help of email, 
and Facebook lets us share in the daily events of their family lives wherever they are I this great big world.


RIP Uncle Noel.

14 comments:

  1. Sad but true. I have recently made contact with one of my cousins who I had lost touch with and although there are only6 of us cousins to be in touch with 2 of them is good and I know our parnets would have wanted that as my mother was the last of her generation and always kept up with them. I also often wonder why we send flowers when someone has died - why not send them to the person before they die so they can enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice to reconnect with family . You have a good point about the flowers !

      Delete
  2. Like you I had lots of contact with my cousins growing up. Families seemed to be very different back then ~ and further back to your Mum's time ~ you have to wonder how big families made so little stretch so far. I imagine there was lots of reminiscing yesterday ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents both came from big families and I enjoyed getting to know aunts, uncles and cousins. As you've said, though, we grow apart. Facebook is where I connect with many of them, and at funerals, although we've not had many of them, for which I'm grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Lorrie. I love Facebook for keeping in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very nice but very slanted photograph of you and your cousins. Who was the photographer? The guy needs a few lessons I think or was he also drinking funeral beer like the cousin on the right in the blue T-shirt? Is this an Australian tradition - tinnies at a funeral and no black clothes? (I noticed that you at least had a black handbag Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not unusual these days to be requested to wear bright clothes to a funeral and this uncle did not want a funeral service either. He wanted an informal gathering where friends and family could remember happy times and that's just what we did. The impromptu photo was taken on a mobile phone so you have to make some allowances YP !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please forgive me if I have upset or angered the photographer. On reflection I say "Good on Uncle Noel" for leaving instructions for such an informal family farewell. A nice way to say goodbye.

      Delete
  7. Lovely photo of you and your family members! Ros

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've noticed that life gets busy as we get older, and time for extended family seems harder to carve out. How lovely that we have facebook for keeping in touch (thats where I hang with most of my cousins too!)

    RIP to your Uncle Noel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My condolences for your loss, Helsie.

    Wow! That is a big family. More than cheaper by the dozen! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LATEST NEWS: CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE BEEN NOMINATED FOR A PRESTIGIOUS LIEBSTER BLOGGING AWARD. VISIT YORKSHIRE PUDDING FOR DETAILS.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Still a lovely photo given the sad circumstances

    ReplyDelete