Welcome to my blog. Here you will find my adventures with my family and friends. Thanks so much for stopping by.

I'm so enjoying this wonderful world of blogging where I have met and made so many new friends.

Please leave a comment when you drop by so I can visit your blog and get to know you too
.

Monday, July 2, 2012

GOOD THINGS ABOUT WINTER IN QUEENSLAND No 2 - It's Wattle Time

I know,  I know, I have raved on about our wattle trees before.

In fact my most read post of all time here is about how we came to call the Acacia plant "wattle".



There have been other posts like this one and this one


 but wattles are so essentially Australian

and I love them.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

  1. I can see why you might love them - so cheerful and bright. Are they perfumed like mimosa which grows in the south of France I wonder and which I think is a type of acacia too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Jane I imagine they are. It's quite a distinctive perfume and it's in the air everywhere here now.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend (here in California) had an acacia like the one in the top picture. My mom smelled it and declared it was wonderful. My little brother was 4 or 5. He picked off several little fluffballs and stuffed them up his nose. Then he couldn't get them out. I think about that every time I see acacias. Ours don't bloom here until late February, which would be the equivalent of your August, so yours are much earliier blooming. Or is it just because of the area where you live being warmer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have them here- across the river -and the scent wafts across. Gorgeous! It's a bit early for them yet, tho.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jan,
    There are so many different varieties here that they all bloom at different times through Winter and into Spring. I guess the Queensland ones start earlier too.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lower photo has a lovely shimmery quality. I wonder, do they make a shimmery sound in the breeze and do they have a nice smell?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I hadn't read all the comments before the abive. It does smell. How glorious.

    ReplyDelete