Welcome to my blog. Here you will find my adventures with my family and friends. Thanks so much for stopping by.

I'm so enjoying this wonderful world of blogging where I have met and made so many new friends.

Please leave a comment when you drop by so I can visit your blog and get to know you too
.

Thursday, May 15, 2014

DAVID

This isn't the real DAVID. 
This is the copy that stands in the Palazzo della Signoria in Florence.


It's a bit grubby but still quite impressive.


We queued for about an hour outside the very unimpressive building that is 
the Galleria dell' Accademia.
In a very unimpressive area of Florence too, I might say.

But the wait was worth it. 
Instead of finding huge crowds inside all was calm and serene.
I was afraid it would be like the Mona Lisa in the Louvre where people stand shoulder to shoulder holding their cameras high to try to get a photo from a long way off.



I didn't know that I would be so affected by seeing this marvel.
But I was !
It is HUGE -a towering 17 feet high ( 5.17m ) - and so wonderful !

You are able to sit on benches around it and just gaze in wonder at it. 
You can get very close to it and see the detail of the workmanship.

It is truly an amazing work of art.
The best thing that I have ever seen.
Something everyone should see once in their life if they can.

 Cheers.

PS. No photos allowed, the above photo is from Google Images.

9 comments:

  1. Good heavens! They might have put some underpants on him - maybe some Armani or Calvin Klein ones...like Tony?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sell special David undies for men YP. I was tempted to buy him some !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there a specific reason you cant take pictures of the real deal?

    Im really enjoying seeing things on your travels that I've only ever heard or read about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No photos allowed inside some places Shay. Security, copyright the main reasons. Carefully policed too . Sistine Chapel is one of them but the Vatican ok everywhere else and L' Orangerie in Paris another. Sometimes they want you to be quiet and contemplate the treasures. Not a bad idea when you see the way some people behave.

      Delete
    2. I always managed to get round these restrictions by leaving the camera hanging down by my waist from a longish strap. The flash was turned off and my finger just happened to accidentally brush against the button now and again. No-one can tell what you are doing if you don't put it up to your eye.
      B.

      Delete
  4. I didn't realise David was that tall! Amazing!

    At least he wouldn't have too many problems when he visited his tailor...he neither hung to the right, nor to the left! But! Boy, oh, boy...what an inner leg measure he would have!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's beautiful and you wonder how Michelangelo carved something like this from one block of marble.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved seeing Michelangelo 's unfinished works there as it showed you how he did them. Such a genius.

    ReplyDelete