Welcome to my blog. Here you will find my adventures with my family and friends. Thanks so much for stopping by.

I'm so enjoying this wonderful world of blogging where I have met and made so many new friends.

Please leave a comment when you drop by so I can visit your blog and get to know you too
.

Saturday, June 16, 2012

A HEALTHY WINTER BREAKFAST


Here's a recipe for you to try on those chilly Winter's  mornings ( or when Summer forgets to happen !!) when something warm is what you need to get you moving.

And guess what? It's good for you too!

In fact it's full of healthy goodness and you'll sail through the morning till lunchtime without those mid-morning cravings.

The secret is in the preparation - set it to cook for 3 or 4 hours in your slow cooker on Saturday. Package up and freeze in portions and you're ready for the week ahead.

No more rushing, breakfast will be delicious and  a breeze.



Brown Rice Porridge   (a recipe stolen from Sally !)
1 cup brown rice rinsed
2 cups reduced fat cream
2 ½ cups water
1 cup coconut milk (~1 tin)
1 tablespoon mixed spice
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
Handful of desiccated coconut
½ cup raisins
2 tablespoons linseeds
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 tablespoon goji berries (optional,  but sooo good for you they're worth the effort of finding)

2 tablespoons brown sugar or similar amount of organic maple syrup (to taste)
********************************************
* Cook on high in slow cooker for ~ 3hours until rice is soft and cooked ( mmmm the smell that begins to waft through the house as it cooks !)
* You may need to add more water at the end of cooking if the rice is not quite cooked and has absorbed all the liquid.
* Portion into zip lock bags to freeze – (weigh them out and anything from 100 to 200gms is great per serve, your choice ). Freeze.
* Defrost and warm in the microwave as required – you might like to add a little milk after defrosting.

Perfect !

Cheers.

4 comments:

  1. That sounds yummy. I'm going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm. Rice for brekkie. An interesting idea. I would miss my poggie, I think. But I like the idea of making up a big batch. I make a huge potful of porridge and it lasts four or five days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could call it dessert risotto. It does sound really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did try it and it was fabulous.

    ReplyDelete