Welcome to my blog. Here you will find my adventures with my family and friends. Thanks so much for stopping by.

I'm so enjoying this wonderful world of blogging where I have met and made so many new friends.

Please leave a comment when you drop by so I can visit your blog and get to know you too
.

Friday, November 4, 2011

TWO THINGS

Thing 1. 

S p i d e r   A l e r t !

Last night when I finished cleaning my teeth I turned and reached for my towel ....

and was greeted my this monster!

Last week I killed its mate...

of similar size
discovered in a similar spot.

I mean, my extremely brave, he-man husband put an end to the monster.
I was off , running for my life with horror.

I knew there'd be two of them...
lurking somewhere there in the bathroom.

So this time I was brave and returned with camera to show you one of the delights of Springtime
- the return of the spiders that have been hiding away in some dark place during the colder months.

OMG, is that his   eye   catching the light of the flash ????


Ugh !!!!!!!

( Tony dispatched this one too. In this house the only good spider is a dead spider !)


Thing  2.

Once a fortnight Tony and I make a trip to the Fresh Food Markets at Rocklea to buy our supply of fruit and vegies for the fortnight.
We're rather fond of fresh fruit and vegies in this house, none of that frozen stuff for us !
Inevitably when I go to pack it all away there are leftovers from the previous fortnight that need to be dealt with.
Usually, in Winter, they become Refrigerator Soup - soup you make with whatever is left in the fridge - but the weather is not really soup weather any more so today's leftovers became a Vegie Bake.

  • A large potato and an equal amount of pumpkin cooked in the microwave and roughly mashed
  • roughly chop whatever else you have - a large onion, a carrot, cauliflower, zucchini, broccoli, beans - and cook them lightly in the microwave
  • raid the pantry and add a can of corn kernels, a tin of baby peas
  • beat about 6 eggs and add a 375mL tin of evaporated milk
  • about a teaspoon of chicken stock powder, a teaspoon of parmesan cheese, a half cup of grated tasty cheese
  • I found 1 and a half bacon rashes floating around in the freezer so I chopped and cooked them in the microwave first - Completely optional, I don't usually add this.
Mix it all together and pour it into a greased oven dish.


I used two dishes today so I could freeze one for later.


Sprinkle the top with a little more cheese ...



and into the oven (180C) for about half an hour.
Test to see if it is cooked.



A great accompaniment to any grilled ( or BBQ-ed ) meat ..


or eaten on its own with a salad for lunch.




Tasty,
Full of vegies,
Healthy

Home cooked goodness.

We'll have several meals from this  - all made with last week's leftover vegies.

Cheers.

17 comments:

  1. Oh dear, those big Huntsman (?) spiders do give you a fright when you aren't expecting them. You poor thing. I usually catch them (I'm the brave one in this family having grown up on a farm in W.A. where redbacks use to shine in the torch light in the old loo up the back) with a glass jar and piece of card. Out they go and hopefully a kooka or a magpie will eat them.
    Your vege bake looks fantastic and what a great way to use up what is known in our house as dead veges. :) I'll keep your recipe in mind for summer. Can't imagine eating soup in Queenlands summer.
    Have a great day,
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least it wasnt ON your towel! I've had that nice surprise before! The gardenias smell fab at the moment, the frangies are popping out too! Thanks for your lovely comment !

    ReplyDelete
  3. HUGE spider - think I'll run from the house seeing one that size! I blogged about getting rid of spiders humanely once but that one takes the buscuit don't think it would fit in the glass! (http://itworksformeitmayworkforyou.blogspot.com/2011/08/if-you-have-phobia-of-spiders-dont-look.html)
    Julie xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember seeing BIG spiders when we visited my son in Sydney. They were not nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have very big spiders there!

    The vegie bake sounds very good. I may have to see if My Guy will give that one a try. Maybe it will be one more way to sneak veggies into Kiddos diet. Anything green is not a "right" food according to her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's one big spider! I would have wet my pants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that'd be a reason to NOT brush your teeth at the end of the day. How big was that from tip to tip? I would have freaked out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Helsie, just dropped by on a blog hop from Anne. My, that is one big spider. Looks a foot long!
    Thanks for the recipe for leftover veg. I love using up leftovers, it's a very creative hobby!
    Love from Mum
    xx
    PS I love your tiny hat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you killed its mate I'm not surprised it came back for you .. have you forgotten 'Jaws'. Let's hope there are no spider children involved, tee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, I would have crapped my pants, if I saw a spider like that. You are a brave woman!!1

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are brave to stand there and take a picture of that spider...I would have left the house until someone came and killed that beast....I hate spiders nad the biggest ones we have are the size of a thumb nail....but back in Texas we gad big spiders too, even though not THAT big!!! Maybe I should think travelling to Australia over again..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I seriously thought you were kidding and had photoshoped that guy in. Lord, was he a big one. The key word is WAS...Thank goodness the Spider Murderer was around to save the day. That dish looks totally yummie and easy to whip up in a pinch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness Helsie! That spider is immense! I HATE them with a vengeance. I don't think we have abnything that comes close to that in size, here in the UK. THANK GOODNESS! Thanks for the recipe. It looks delicious. I'll give it a try. Have a good week. Ros

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally agree about spiders - big or small. Vegie bake looks great, must make it very soon, cause now I am hungry

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry about this but I am afraid I have had to report this matter to the RSPS (Royal Society for the Protection of Spiders). These amazing creatures populated our planet long before human beings appeared on the scene. Next time - please trap the spider without injuring it and release it somewhere outside. Cruel Aussies!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cripes ! ! ! I'm with Shay on this one.

    Things of Nightmares ! ! ! !

    Found your blog via The Garden Bell, which I totally love.

    hugs
    sleeping with one eye open
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete